As you know, I’m all about recycling and upcycling items when I can and when I use a plastic shopping bag, I save it. Although I do have a fabric plastic bag holder in my pantry I like having some bags accessible in my kitchen as well. It is really easy to just stuff them in a drawer, but this can get a little junky and before I know it, I have a big plastic shopping bag mess. Do you have a drawer full of unruly shopping bags?
This plastic shopping bag dispenser is a quick and easy remedy that will be a game-changer when it comes to your bag organization and recycling efforts.
This plastic shopping bag dispenser will:
- Save storage space
- Create organization in your kitchen, pantry, and wherever else you store a plastic shopping bag
- Give you easy access to a bag when you need it
- Help reduce waste by recycling both a plastic shopping bag and a tissue box
Since the 1980s, disposable plastic shopping bags have provided a convenient way to bag groceries and carry purchases home. These plastic bags are relatively strong, incredibly cheap, waterproof, and, perhaps most importantly, made to be thrown away. HOWEVER, whether it is in your kitchen cupboard, the landfill, or the ocean, this plastic is piling up. NOT GOOD!
If you want more information about the current plastic recycling process that is going on, which is very enlightening, check out this post HERE.
What can we do as individuals? Reduce and reuse!
Here are some ideas
- Purchase items with as little packaging as possible.
- Bring your own reusable plastic or fabric bags. MAKE YOUR OWN GROCERY BAGS OUT OF AN UPCYCLED T-SHIRT
- Opt for recyclable glass and metal options when they are available.
- Eliminate plastic wrap by using containers or “bees waxed” cloth.
- Reuse the last of the old plastic shopping bags you’ve got in that drawer at home AND organize them with your new tissue box dispenser!
How to make a plastic shopping bag dispenser
All you need is an empty tissue box and the bags you are going to put inside. You don’t even need a pair of scissors.
1-Take a plastic shopping bag and stuff it in the tissue box horizontally WITH THE HANDLES STICKING UP.
2-Grab another plastic bag by the bottom and stuff it through the handles of the bag you just put in the box.
3-Fold the bottom of the plastic shopping bag over the handles by about 3 inches.
4-Continue this process until you have placed all the plastic shopping bags you have into the box.
I was able to get 18 bags into the box with no problem and enough room for plenty more
Now every time you need a plastic bag you can just open your drawer and pull out a bag and it will feed the next one up just like tissue in a tissue box.
Ta-dah! Now wasn’t that simple! Look how much room you have created in that drawer and doesn’t it feel better?
Let me know if you have any other great ideas on how to re-use and recycle a tissue box or a plastic shopping bag.