There is nothing better than a soothing lavender eye pillow when you’re feeling stressed to take away the tension. This easy to follow DIY eye pillow tutorial will guide you through a quick and easy project that you can make in 10 minutes or less. Even a beginner seamstress can handle this!
I love using an eye pillow when
- I take a nap
- at the end of my yoga practice for savasana
- and when I have a sinus headache. (I put it in the freezer to get it cold and then put it over my eyes).
What I love about this eye pillow it that it has a removable slip cover that you can wash, and the dried lavender stays fragrant for years.
What else is a lavender eye pillow good for?
- Shields the eyes from light and visual stimulus. Covering the eyes blocks out glaring light, and blocks any visual stimulus that may keep your mind racing.
- Relieves tension and eye strain. Most people think the an eye pillow is just to block out the light, but the light weight of the flax seeds ensures the perfect amount of acupressure to release tension from the forehead, cheekbones, temples, neck and even the shoulders. Some yoga scholars also claim that the light pressure on the eyes sends a neurological signal to the brain that facilitates whole body relaxation.
- Calms and rests the mind.
Here is a little article that talks about the oculocardiac reflex in the eyes that can serve as a very powerful doorway to the relaxation response. Now I know even a little more about the “why” of these wonderful eye pillow. (I’m all about the why)!
You can read more about the other benefits in one of my previous posts
Materials & Items Needed
- Inner Bag: muslin, upcycled sheets, white woven fabric
- Slip cover: flannel, or other soft fabrics, upcycled t-shirts
- Sewing machine (can be sewn by hand)
- Scissors/Rotary Cutter (optional)
- Pins/Fabric clips
- Iron/Ironing board
- Filling: Flax seeds, rice, buckwheat, millet
- lavender buds (optional)
- scrap piece of paper and tape (for funnel)
- DOWNLOAD FREE PATTERN HERE
Cutting Out Inner Bag
Cut ONE strip of fabric 9 x 9 inches. (22.86 cm)
Cutting Out Slipcover
Cut ONE strip of fabric 5 x 20.5 inches. (12.7 x 52.07 cm)
Sewing Instructions Inner Bag
Fold fabric in half with right sides together.
Pin in place and sew along the bottom and side using a ¼ inch seam allowance.
(Leave one short side open). Turn inside out and press.
Make a paper funnel using a standard piece of paper. Simply roll in the sides and adjust the edges to form a cone. Adjust it so there is about a 1/2 inch opening and tape it in place.
Fill with approximately 1 cup rice, flax seeds, millet, or buckwheat. (My favorite are flax seeds).
Add 1/4 cup lavender buds. (optional). Oh, baby, this makes them smell so yummy! If you don’t have access to lavender buds, you and simply place a few drops of lavender essential oil on the outer cover, here and there.
Fold the open end under ½ inch to the inside and sew close to the edge.
Sewing Instructions Slip Cover
Hem the short ends of the fabric by using a rolled hem method. (Folding under ¼ and then another ¼ inch).
Press and topstitch in place. Backstitch at the beginning and end of seam.
With Right Sides Together, fold left side over 1 ½ inches.
Fold the right side over so the edge is about ½ inch from the left fold. Press and pin in place.
If you want to add a tag, this is when to do it. Stick the tag just inside the right folded edge. Let the tag hang out a bit, as to make sure to catch it in the seam.
Sew along the top and bottom of the slipcover, backstitching at the beginning and end of your seam. Add a tag in the top right corner. (Optional) If you have a serger, use it. If you don’t no worries. However, you are using a fabric that frays easily, use a zig-zag stitch to finish the edge of the seam allowance. You can do this by simply sewing a zigzag stitch down the seam.
Clip corners, turn inside out. Poke corners out and press. You can do this by simply sewing a zigzag stitch down the seam.
Slip the inner bag inside the slipcover.
EYE PILLOW CARE:
Outer slipcover can be machine washed and dried. DO NOT WASH INNER EYE PILLOW BAG! To refresh lavender fragrance, simply squeeze bag contents to activate lavender.
Remember self-care is critical in your wellbeing! Enjoy a little YOU time!
Have fun sewing!