Coasters do more than protect your tables and counters. They can also add a pop of color to your room and give your cup of coffee or tea a happy place to land. In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how to make beaded coasters from upcycled sweaters.
Adding beads around the edges using the BLANKET STITCH, really gives the coasters texture and color. You can make them any shape you desire, however, I have the FREE PDF download for the circle and heart that you can get HERE.
This is a fun, relaxing, and easy project AND a set of these make great gifts!
WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL BELOW
BEADED COASTERS ITEMS NEEDED
- Upcycled felted wool sweater/thick pieces of felt can also be used. (I hope you’ve been saving your sweater scraps)!
- Embroidery thread (2-3 yards) Quilting thread can also be used especially for smaller beads.
- Embroidery needle (make sure the beads you are using will fit through the needle).
- Beads of your choice (glass seed beads are a good option)
- Sewing machine for quilting (OPTIONAL)
BEADED COASTERS INSTRUCTIONS
- Cut out two circles (4.5 x 4.5 inches – 11.5 x 11.5 cm) * If you have a very thick felted sweater, only use one layer.
- Separate the embroidery thread into 3 strands.
- Thread the needle and knot the end.
- Place the beads you want to use onto a spare piece of sweater or fabric to make loading beads easier.
- Stack two circles on top of each other and line up the edges. If using the heart shape, start stitching at the notch of the heart.
- Insert the needle between the two pieces of fabric about ¼ inch/ .5 cm from the edge. Take one stitch and poke the needle out at the edge of the fabric. Load a bead onto the needle and begin the BLANKET STITCH.
- Take a stitch and make a loop, pull the needle through the loop MAKING SURE THE BEAD IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE THREAD. Pull the thread taught and load another bead.
- Continue this process all the way around.
- To finish, take a tiny stitch, knot the thread. Insert the needle into the fabric close to the stitch and out between the two layers. Cut the thread.
You can leave the coaster just like this or you can quilt it or embroider a design in the center to give it a more dense texture.
If you want to use the sewing machine, attach the quilting foot and free-sew whatever design you want.
That’s it! Make a set for yourself and make some for your friends!
I’d love to see what you come up with. Tag your finished coasters on Instagram . youmakeitsimple.
****If you want to know about FELTING WOOL SWEATERS, check out this post.