Instant Pot Rice – Perfect Every Time!

Instant Pot Rice

When you make rice, does it come out perfect every time? Mine never did, even when I used a rice steamer. But now it does because I learned how to make it using the amazing Instant Pot. If you don’t have one yet, I highly advise you look into it. This is one of the best purchases I have made. You can read more about it here.

When I purchased my Instant Pot I was able to get rid of my manual pressure cooker, crock pot, and my RICE COOKER. Not only do I have more room in my pantry without all those other gadgets, I have one machine that does it ALL, and it does it well!

Whether it is served by itself as a side dish, or included in a recipe, rice is something that we consume a lot in our home. It  is inexpensive, nutritious and very easy to make.

two Instant PotsI have mentioned before that I own TWO of these babies. (Yep, two Instant Pots). Here is the thing, I can whip up a batch of rice in one pot while I am steaming a yummy pot of broccoli in another. They come in handy when I am roasting a chicken. I can use the other one to either make rice or some steamed veggies. Some may think this is a little extreme, but I find it very useful. Something you may want to consider?

I am going to show you instructions on how to make WHITE and BROWN RICE.

1:1 ratio water to riceto make white rice

Ingredients:

• 2 cups white rice (Short and long grain Basmati or Jasmine)
  • 2 cups water (you can use broth, but I find it doesn’t change the flavor much)
  • 1 Tablespoon oil (avocado, olive. ghee or butter)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • spices (optional) some options  1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 4-5 cracked cardamon pods, or whatever else fancies you.

*As you can see, the water to rice ratio is 1:1, so it is easy to make bigger or smaller batches. This recipe will serve 4 – 5.

Instructions:

1- Rinse Rice

To rinse or not rinse rice before cooking? This is a topic that I have found to be quite controversial and there are a lot of different opinions. I like to rinse my rice before cooking. Rinsing helps reduce the starchy residue. I think it does give it a not so sticky texture, and I like to think I am washing away any icky residue that may be on it. Some times I rinse, and other times I don’t. Totally up to you.

Using a mesh strainer, rinse rice under cool water until water runs clear.

2- Place Rice in Instant Pot Inner pan

3- Pour water over rice

4- Add the oil of your choice and salt (

Adding a little oil keeps the rice from sticking to the pan and prevents the Instant Pot from sputtering and spitting while the rice is cooking.

5- Give it a little stir

Instant Pot Lid sealed6- Place the lid on the Instant Pot

Secure in place and set to the “sealing position”.

12 minutes8- Press “RICE” button

Adjust time to 12 minutes if it doesn’t go there automatically.

9- Go about your business

This is what I love about this machine. You don’t have to babysit.

10- Natural Release for 10 minutes

After you here the beeper, let it sit for 10 minutes. You can tell how long it has been by looking at the display. After 10 minutes, if the pressure is still up, manually release pressure.

Instant Pot Rice12- ta dah! Fluff with a fork and enjoy!

*** If the rice is a little too “al dente” for you and you want it softer, try adding an additional small amount of water. Adjust to your liking.

to make Brown Rice

Ingredients:

• 2 cups Brown Rice
  • 2 1/2 cups Water
  • 1 Tablespoon oil of your choice
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • optional spices

Instructions:

The only thing different will be the timing.

1- Click on “manual button” at “high pressure”

2- Adjust time to 23 minutes

3- Natural release and sit for 10 minutes.

4- Remove pressure and lid.

freeze rice

Rice freezes really well. I like to make a big batch of rice and freeze in quart size bags. It thaws quickly and really saves a lot of time for a quick meal.

Enjoy!

jan3

• katelynSeptember 29, 2017 - 1:33 pm

Do you need to adjust the time if using more rice?ReplyCancel

• JanSeptember 29, 2017 - 7:55 pm

Nope, same time.ReplyCancel

• AnonymousDecember 3, 2018 - 4:00 pm

I use pot within pot if I’m making a small batch. Remember to put water and rack in the pot first. Then use rice and right amount of water in bowl of rice. Easy clean upReplyCancel

• […] View Recipe at You Make It Simple […]ReplyCancel

• AnonymousDecember 4, 2017 - 1:42 pm

Thanks Katelyn! I was going to ask the same question 😂ReplyCancel

• VickyJanuary 1, 2018 - 3:31 pm

Do I need to cook less (time wise) if I am only doing 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water?ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 1, 2018 - 5:48 pm

The same time no matter how much. It will just come up to pressure quicker.ReplyCancel

• VickyJanuary 1, 2018 - 3:32 pm

If I am only cooking a cup of rice do I need to adjust time?ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 1, 2018 - 5:49 pm

Same time no matter how much rice and water.ReplyCancel

• LindaJanuary 3, 2018 - 4:40 pm

My rice recommends a 2:1 water to rice ratio. Why is yours 1:1?ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 3, 2018 - 9:34 pm

My Instant Pot book recommends 1:1 ratio white rice as well. Brown rice ratio is 2 1/2:2 water to rice. Have you cooked rice in the Instant pot yet? This works for me quite well.ReplyCancel

• Paul CavarettaJanuary 8, 2018 - 5:38 pm

Mine stock. What did I do wrongReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 9, 2018 - 9:45 am

Do you mean “stuck” ?ReplyCancel

• Paul CavarettaJanuary 9, 2018 - 4:56 pm

Yes. Stuck.ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 16, 2018 - 8:27 pm

If you add 1 tablespoon of oil before cooking it helps to keep the rice from sticking.ReplyCancel

• MicqueJanuary 9, 2018 - 5:25 pm

Followed the white rice instructions exactly and half the rice isn’t cooked.ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 9, 2018 - 7:07 pm

That is interesting. I have never had that happen. Has anyone else out there had that happen? What kind of rice was it?
      The only thing I can think of that happened is that there was not enough water or it didn’t get stirred.
      Did you let it “natural release”?ReplyCancel

• BeckyFebruary 13, 2018 - 6:34 pm

I tried the 1:1 with Jasmine rice. 12 minutes, 10 min. NR. It was not fully cooked. I did not rinse it first. Maybe Jasmine takes a bit longer. Seems like it needed more liquid also.ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 16, 2018 - 8:28 pm

It does help to rinse first.ReplyCancel

• JaneDecember 31, 2018 - 2:55 pm

Burn notice 6 minutes in.ReplyCancel

• DianeJanuary 16, 2018 - 9:42 am

What kind of rice do you use or brand? I’m assuming not minute rice!ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 16, 2018 - 2:55 pm

I have used both Basmati and Jasmine rice. Short and long grain rices both work well. I don’t have a particular brand that I like. Just whatever is available.ReplyCancel

• SmileJanuary 23, 2018 - 3:40 pm

Hello
    🙂ReplyCancel

• TaraJanuary 25, 2018 - 7:03 pm

I have never heard of anyone freezing rice, do you just thaw it out and warm it back up on the stove?
    Thanks!ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 27, 2018 - 6:25 pm

I do it all the time. I freeze the rice in quart freezer bags. Then when needed, I just open up the bag and pour it in a saucepan and add a little water. (Like a 1/4 cup). I break it up a bit and cook on medium heat while stirring. Once broken up the water will evaporate and the rice will be hot. Turn it off and put a lid on it until ready to eat.ReplyCancel

• TamaraJanuary 30, 2018 - 12:40 pm

I’ve made this recipe several times and it always comes out great. I just made a batch of white rice and now I’m about to try Texmati brown rice. I’ve cooked brown rice before in the ip, just not this brand, hope it goes well.ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 30, 2018 - 8:11 pm

Good to hear your white rice is turning out well. Just make sure to follow the instructions for brown rice, as the times and water to rice ratio will be different.ReplyCancel

• ValerieFebruary 7, 2018 - 1:28 pm

I can’t adjust the time to 12 minutes when I use the Rice function. It automatically goes to 10 minutes. Any advice?ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 8, 2018 - 5:30 pm

Press “manual” and adjust the pressure to “low” pressure and then adjust time to 12 minutes. What kind of Instant Pot do you have? Mine automatically goes to 12 minutes when I push the “rice” button. Interesting! This other way will work just the same.ReplyCancel

• AnonymousNovember 13, 2018 - 2:08 pm

I have the IP-LUX and when I push the Rice button it automatically goes to 10 minutes without being able to adjust…ReplyCancel

• JanNovember 14, 2018 - 4:23 pm

You can use the manual button.

Cook rice in the “Manual” mode at high pressure. Add 1:1 ratio of rice to water to the Instant Pot and set to 3 minutes with a 12 minute NR.
          I hope this works for you with the IP-LUX. I don’t have the IP-LUX, but this should work.ReplyCancel

• ChristineMay 14, 2020 - 5:29 pm

I don’t have a “manual” button on mine. I have the Lux mini

• JanMay 14, 2020 - 5:33 pm

Just use the rice setting.

• andrea brinNovember 26, 2019 - 9:09 pm

on the duo nova how do you adjust the time on the rice setting.ReplyCancel

• JanNovember 27, 2019 - 10:20 am

You shouldn’t have to adjust anything. Times and setting will be the same. I’m not real familiar with the duo nova, but from what I read, everything is the same. What part are you questioning?

• HeatherFebruary 12, 2018 - 2:13 am

Does using plain white rice make a difference? I’ve never used Jasmine or Basmati. Mine always has hard pieces in it. I’m going to try your recipe next time to see if that helps. 🤞🏼 Thanks for the recipe and answering everyone’s questions, us non-cookers really appreciate it!ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 16, 2018 - 8:15 pm

Thanks Heather! Let me know how it goes.ReplyCancel

• HeatherFebruary 16, 2018 - 8:32 pm

What difference is there if you rinse the rice first?ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 16, 2018 - 9:23 pm

I am not really sure why, but it does seem to make a difference.ReplyCancel

• Mely BFebruary 18, 2019 - 11:52 am

To answer Heather’s question, rinsing the rice removes the starch or at least some of the starch. It makes the rice less sticky and gummy tasting. I always rinse my rice.

• Aimee and Adria :February 13, 2018 - 4:22 pm

I’m new to the instant pot. Mine came with a recipe book that says the perfect brown rice in 4 minutes. How come there’s such a difference in time with yours and theirs?ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 16, 2018 - 8:20 pm

That is interesting. My Instant Pot recipe book shows to cook brown rice for 22-28 minutes. 4 minutes for rice is unheard of.ReplyCancel

• ChristineNovember 28, 2018 - 5:39 pm

I just made my Jasmine rice yesterday! 4 mins and 10nr came out absolutely perfect!ReplyCancel

• JanNovember 29, 2018 - 9:09 am

Awesome!!!!! thanks for sharingReplyCancel

• PamFebruary 22, 2018 - 11:09 am

I made rice rice following your instructions. My rice was one big sticky glob. You could not take a fork & separate the grains. Any idea what my problem might be?
    Thank you!ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 22, 2018 - 11:37 am

Interesting. Let’s see if we can trouble shoot what is going on. What kind of rice did you use? Did you rinse the rice before?ReplyCancel

• CindyMarch 17, 2018 - 4:41 pm

I made it exactly from your recipe using 1 cup of water and 1 cup of rice and it wasn’t cookedReplyCancel

• JanMarch 18, 2018 - 8:40 pm

What kind of rice were you using?ReplyCancel

• JenniferMarch 19, 2018 - 5:08 pm

Question…2C white rice + 2C water + seasonings. Low pressure 12 minutes & let natural release for 10 minutes. Rice is sticky….what did I do wrong?ReplyCancel

• JanMarch 19, 2018 - 7:46 pm

Hi Jennifer, instead of putting the Instant Pot on “low pressure” you need to press the “rice” button. This adjusts for the correct pressure for rice. When you choose “rice”, it will automatically set the time for 12 minutes, unless it has been adjusted. If it doesn’t show 12 minutes, simply adjust the time up or down. I am sure that is what happened to your rice. What kind of rice were you using. Some types of rice turn out as “STICKY RICE”. Let me know if you have further questions.ReplyCancel

• PamNovember 2, 2018 - 7:39 am

I have a Lux and my rice setting defaults to 10 min. I can’t adjust the time. When I use the manual setting I can’t adjust to low pressure. I elected to use the rice button. I will let you know how it turns out. I am doing 4 cups of rice.ReplyCancel

• Jimmie SueDecember 30, 2018 - 5:49 pm

How did 4 cups do? I have 30 people for gumbo. I think I need 6 ups. Will it run over? 6 water 6 riceReplyCancel

• TestoRam UKMarch 26, 2018 - 10:19 pm

You completed several nice points there.

I did a search on the topic and found nearly all persons will agree with your blog.ReplyCancel

• Cathy MacInnisApril 22, 2018 - 9:36 am

I thought it was a given all rice has to be washed Rice is very dirty am I wrong?ReplyCancel

• JanApril 22, 2018 - 7:50 pm

I didn’t know this for a long time. But yes, it is best to wash. Some folks don’t.ReplyCancel

• JanApril 22, 2018 - 7:52 pm

I didn’t know this for a long time. I just assumed it was clean. But yes, it is dirty and is better to wash. Some folks don’t.ReplyCancel

• DeborahMay 6, 2018 - 10:11 am

I use this recipe. However, I use a Reynolds Slow Cooker bag. I have a 3 qt Instant Pot. I put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot with the steamer basket. I put my rinsed rice, water, salt and oil in the bag and loosely tie the top and place in steamer basket…..3 minutes of high pressure and wait 10 minutes for natural or manual release…..Perfect rice and no mess!!ReplyCancel

• JanMay 6, 2018 - 8:31 pm

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!ReplyCancel

• Hey tһere ԝould you mind letting me ҝnow wҺicҺ
    hosting company уou’re uѕing? I’vе loaded yߋur blog in 3 ɗifferent browsers аnd І must
    ѕay this blog loads а lоt quicker then most. Cɑn you suggest a good hosting provider
    at а reasonable ρrice? Ꭲhanks a lot, ӏ appreсiate
    it!ReplyCancel

• JanMay 17, 2018 - 1:04 pm

I use webhostinghubReplyCancel

• AnnaJuly 18, 2018 - 10:33 am

I received a plastic cup with my instant pot. When measuring do I use that cup or an actual measuring cup? The plastic cup that came with the instant pot is not equivalent to 8oz. So I am never certain when using the recipes in the book if they mean a cup or their cup?ReplyCancel

• JanJuly 18, 2018 - 11:16 am

Hi Anna, the measuring cup that comes with the Instant Pot is for measuring rice, not liquids. I think most rice recipes online just use a regular dry measuring cup, I do. Rule of thumb for rice, is 1 cup water to 1 cup rice. (white rice). I hope that was helpful. I know it is a little confusing. Let me know if you have further questions. Happy rice making!ReplyCancel

• ARLENEJuly 24, 2018 - 2:45 pm

Hello can i make 6 cups of white rice in a 6qt. Ip? Ty.ReplyCancel

• JanJuly 24, 2018 - 6:15 pm

Yep, I do it all the time. 2 cups rice, 2 cups water will give you about 8-10 cups rice.ReplyCancel

• TonyaAugust 20, 2018 - 3:53 pm

Could you mix frozen veggies with this? If so would I adjust the pressure time?ReplyCancel

• JenSeptember 3, 2018 - 12:14 am

I’ve made the white rice recipe a handful of times now and it’s turned out great every time! I was thinking about trying the brown rice next, but wanted to clarify something before I tried. I know it says to use manual instead of the rice button, but do you use low or high pressure?
    Thanks!ReplyCancel

• JanSeptember 3, 2018 - 4:31 pm

Set at “high pressure”.
      Great question, I will make that more clear.
      🙂ReplyCancel

• KowenaSeptember 25, 2018 - 1:45 pm

I really love the Cara Rose rice. Do you know the recipe for the instant pot.ReplyCancel

• JanSeptember 25, 2018 - 8:25 pm

Sorry, but I am not familiar with Cara Rose Rice. What is it? Is it a brand or particular rice recipe. Would love to learn what it is.ReplyCancel

• MaryliDecember 5, 2018 - 2:06 pm

I am trying your recipe right now and I think instant pot hear you because mine automatically set to 12 minutes at low pressure when I used the rice button. I will let you know my results.ReplyCancel

• Debbie HamiltonDecember 26, 2018 - 8:20 pm

Hello Jan,
    I cooked extra long grain white rice, and I thought it was great. My son wanted it a bit sticky, so I did not rinse. It had a wonderful flavor. I made 3 cups with 3 cups of water. Because of the extra rice, I increased the butter to 1 1/2 TBS and the salt to 1 1/2 tsp. My kids asked if it could be a bit softer. Do you suggest more water? More time and water? Only more time? What do you think? I am using an 8 quart IP-Duo.
    Thanks,
    Deb-ReplyCancel

• JanDecember 27, 2018 - 10:48 am

Hi Deb,
      If you want it a little softer, try adding just a tad more water, say 1/4 cup to start with. Keep the time the same. Let me know how it goes.
      Enjoy the rest of your day,
      JanReplyCancel

• Tracey LantzDecember 28, 2018 - 10:29 am

I just tried this today as my first ever Instant Pot recipe, and it worked like a charm!
    I used 3C of rice and water. My model would not let me adjust the rice time from 10 to 12, so I just went with the 10 mins rice setting, 10 min natural steam release, and BAM! That rice was perfect!
    Thanks for the know-how 🙂ReplyCancel

• AnonymousJanuary 11, 2019 - 11:28 am

I tried to make Brown rice with the instructions and it was burned and undercooked… disappointed because I tried to make Brown rice for the first time I used my new Instant Pot and it failed. I’m super bummed about waiting 30+ minutes smelling like yummy brown rice and it was pretty awful. :/ I don’t know how it went wrong as I followed the instructions.ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 11, 2019 - 7:45 pm

So sorry it didn’t work out for you. Especially on your first go. I haven’t yet heard of anyone not having good luck with it. I make brown rice all the time with these instructions. If anyone out there reading this has had issues with it burning, let us know. Did you add more water than it calls for in white rice? Not sure what went wrong?ReplyCancel

• MattMarch 13, 2019 - 4:16 pm

I have used this recipe for rice since we got our Instant Pot and will not make rice any other way. Thank you for sharing this!ReplyCancel

• JanMarch 13, 2019 - 6:32 pm

Thank you! So glad its working for you!ReplyCancel

• JanetApril 3, 2019 - 5:29 pm

My rice got stuck to the silver insert. Can PAM be sprayed on the insert?ReplyCancel

• JanApril 5, 2019 - 10:53 am

Hi Janet,
      Did you add some oil to the rice and water before cooking? That will help it not stick to the pan. If you did and it still stuck to the pan, you could add Pam to the pan with no problem. Never heard of it sticking with added oil however. Let me know how it goes.ReplyCancel

• […] This is my forgot-to-take-out-anything-for-dinner recipe! It’s so easy to make. I use chicken tenderloins which decreases the cooking time to 9 minutes, though I do saute the sauce a little longer to darken it up. Just a personal preference, it’s not necessary as the recipe is a killer straight out of the instant pot. I serve this with white rice which you can easily make in the instant pot. Here is a great instant pot white rice recipe. […]ReplyCancel

• Maryann GreeneDecember 19, 2019 - 8:20 am

can you use minute rice in insta pot and if so does time changeReplyCancel

• JanDecember 19, 2019 - 8:51 am

No, it would cook way too fast, and less time just to cook the minute rice on the stove top.ReplyCancel

• JohnDecember 22, 2019 - 10:27 am

Hi, If I make a large batch do i add more oil or stay at the original amount regardless of the amount of cups of rice. Your rice came out perfect every time but I never made a large batch yet. Thank you.ReplyCancel

• JanDecember 22, 2019 - 2:44 pm

Yes, add more oil.ReplyCancel

• Debbie FladdDecember 28, 2019 - 3:00 pm

I was gifted the rice instant pot…… Before I realized it I loaded it up with pork for pulled pork sandwiches. I went ahead and pushed the steam button for 55 minutes. I was a little concerned but it was delicious! Is it safe to use this pot for meat?ReplyCancel

• Huggins88February 17, 2020 - 12:24 pm

I have tried your method three times now, always following the exact steps. The rice is good EXCEPT there’s always a few crunchy grains of rice. I use long grain enriched rice.ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 17, 2020 - 2:43 pm

Hello there,
      Thanks for reaching out.
      Ya know, I have the same issue now and then, not every time. Seems to depend on the rice. You may find adding just a tad more water helps and making sure you are rinsing and adding a little oil.
      Hope that was helpful. Try those few things and see if it helps. Keep me posted. 🙂ReplyCancel

• BarbaraFebruary 24, 2020 - 12:20 pm

I have the Crockpot brand but this recipe worked perfectly. I used plain white rice to test. Thank you for this lesson.ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 24, 2020 - 1:26 pm

You are so welcome. Good to know! Thanks for sharing!ReplyCancel

• […] Just a personal preference, it’s not necessary as the recipe is a killer straight out of the instant pot. I serve this with white rice which you can easily make in the instant pot. Here is a great instant pot white rice recipe. […]ReplyCancel

• LeahApril 18, 2020 - 9:53 am

Wow! First time rice user in my instant pot and the water ratio for the rice plus the time as awwww fluffy perfect jasmine rice. I made 4 cups for dinner and it was like restaurant quality “fluff and texture”ReplyCancel

• YvzJune 2, 2020 - 6:48 pm

My instant pot didn’t come with a rice cooker inner pot. Is it something you get separately? Or I can’t cook rice in just any instant pot?ReplyCancel

• JanJune 2, 2020 - 7:56 pm

Just use the pot that comes with the Instant Pot. There is no inner rice pot that I am aware of.ReplyCancel

%d bloggers like this: