Broccoli – How To Steam In The Instant Pot

frozen broccoli and cauliflowerSteamed broccoli and cauliflower have never been easier to make than in my Instant Pot. What is so great about this pressure cooker? Well, the biggest thing is that you don’t overcook steamed vegetables. Eating soggy broccoli was pretty common in my kitchen before this bad boy entered my world.

I love that you can throw in your veggies, set the timer and continue with other things. The beeper will sound when it is done and you can have perfectly steamed broccoli and cauliflower in less than 10 minutes total cooking time. There is no excuse for not having time to fix a delicious, healthy side dish for any meal.

instant pot steamed broccoli pinWhen cooking vegetables, fresh or frozen, it’s recommended to use steaming or quick pressure cooking to preserve vitamins and minerals to the maximum. So, what are the benefits of this beautiful green vegetable anyway?  Here are a few reasons why we should eat broccoli.

9 Health Benefits of eating broccoli

1. Cancer Prevention

Broccoli contains glucoraphanin, which the body processes into the anti-cancer compound sulforaphane. This compound rids the body of H. pylori, a bacterium found to highly increase the risk of gastric cancer. Broccoli contains indole-3-carbinol, a powerful antioxidant compound and anti-carcinogen found to not only hinder the growth of breast, cervical and prostate cancer, but also boosts liver function.

Broccoli shares these cancer fighting, immune boosting properties with other cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage.

2. Cholesterol Reduction

Like many whole foods, broccoli is packed with soluble fiber that draws cholesterol out of your body.

3. Reducing Allergy Reaction and Inflammation

Broccoli is a particularly rich source of kaempferol and isothiocyanates, both anti-inflammatory phyto nutrients. Research has shown the ability of kaempferol to lessen the impact of allergy-related substances on our body. Broccoli even has significant amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, which are well known as an anti-inflammatory.

4. Powerful Antioxidant

Of all the cruciferous vegetables, broccoli stands out as the most concentrated source of vitamin C, plus the flavonoids necessary for vitamin C to recycle effectively. Also concentrated in broccoli are the carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene, other powerful antioxidants.

5. Bone Health

It contains high levels of both calcium and vitamin K, both of which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis.

6. Heart Health

The anti-inflammatory properties of sulforaphane, one of the isothiocyanates (ITCs) in broccoli, may be able to prevent (or even reverse) some of the damage to blood vessel linings that can be caused by inflammation due to chronic blood sugar problems.

7. Detoxification

Glucoraphanin, gluconasturtiin and glucobrassicin are special phytonutrients that support all steps in the body’s detox process, including activation, neutralization and elimination of unwanted contaminants.  It also contains isothiocyanates which help control the detox process at a genetic level.

8. Diet Aid

It is high in fiber, which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating. A cup of broccoli has as much protein as a cup of rice or corn with half the calories.

9. Alkalizes Your Body

Like many vegetables, broccoli helps keep your whole body less acidic, which has a host of health benefits.

Are you ready to start implementing this power food into your menu, if you haven’t already?

video tutorial How to steam broccoli and or cauliflower using the Instant Pot:

stainless steel steam basket1- Place a steam basket into the Instant Pot Pan

I recommend using a stainless steel basket or a silicone basket.

These silicone baskets from AVOKADO, are my new Instant Pot accessory love!

Avokado Steamer basketThey hold a ton of food, are easy to clean, and make it really easy to remove from the pot. (No hat pad or mitts needed).

2- Cut up veggies into big florets and place into pan

Instant Pot frozen broccoliI like to use the organic FROZEN broccoli from Costco. It comes already cleaned, cut and frozen.

broccoli adding water3-Add 1  cup water

******If you use fresh veggies, the time needs to be adjusted way down, to 0!

pressure switch4- Apply lid and switch the valve to pressure

MANUAL BUTTON5- Press the MANUAL button and adjust the time to 3-4 minutes.

****FROZEN set to 3-4 minutes

*****UNFROZEN 0-1 minutes

Depending on how you like the broccoli, you may need to adjust the time. I like mine a little more tender, so I opt for the 4 minutes. If you want it a little crisp, 2-3 minutes is good.

Total cook time will be around 8-10 minutes which includes time to build up pressure.

This time will give you veggies that are tender, but still bright in color. After your first batch you will know if you need to adjust time a little to steam to your liking.

release steam6-After beeper sounds, use the QUICK RELEASE METHOD

Flip the pressure switch and keep hands and face away from the hot steam.

Once the pressure has come down, the pressure valve will drop and you can open the lid

img_9820tip

broccoli juice

One more tip! I know this will sound crazy, but I like to save the water from the pan to drink later. Cooled in the fridge it is quite tasty and chuck FULL OF NUTRIENTS.

Instant Pot steamed broccoli There you have it, a quick healthy side dish to any meal.

Enjoy!

Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli

Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli

Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes

Steamed broccoli is a snap in the Instant Pot!

Ingredients

• Frozen or fresh broccoli
  • 1 cup water

Instructions

Place a steam basket into the Instant Pot Pan

(I recommend using a stainless steel basket or a silicone basket.).

Cut up veggies into big florets and place into pan

Add 1 cup water

******If you use fresh veggies, the time needs to be adjusted way down, to 0!

Apply lid and switch the valve to pressure

Press the MANUAL button and adjust the time to 3-4 minutes.

****FROZEN set to 3-4 minutes

*****UNFROZEN 0-1 minutes

Depending on how you like the broccoli, you may need to adjust the time. I like mine a little tenderer, so I opt for the 4 minutes. If you want it a little crisp, 2-3 minutes is good.

your first batch you will know if you need to adjust time a little to steam to
your liking.

After beeper sounds, use the QUICK RELEASE METHOD

Flip the pressure switch and keep hands and face away from the hot steam.

Serve and enjoy!

avokado steamer baskets

frozen broccoli steamed instant pot

• BillMarch 2, 2017 - 2:46 pm

Awesome, do you think I could throw in some green beans and carrots in the same pot or would I need to add a bit more water?

ThanksReplyCancel

• JanMarch 2, 2017 - 3:17 pm

Absolutely! I do it all the time. No need to add more water, but cut the carrots up into smaller pieces. Carrots take a little longer to cook than broccoli, so if they are in smaller pieces, you are good to go.ReplyCancel

• LolaMarch 27, 2017 - 9:56 am

One minute is enough for broccoli, comes out perfect.ReplyCancel

• JanMarch 27, 2017 - 1:52 pm

Thanks for sharing!ReplyCancel

• […] I had some broccoli florets from Trader Joe’s that I needed to cook up.  I did it thusly, following advice from this site: […]ReplyCancel

• DsApril 27, 2017 - 3:56 pm

Do you use the supplied trivet or just put in the basketReplyCancel

• JanApril 27, 2017 - 9:27 pm

I use the steam basket.ReplyCancel

• ZeeJuly 11, 2017 - 5:43 pm

What if you don’t have a steam basket?ReplyCancel

• JanJuly 11, 2017 - 9:13 pm

Did your Instant Pot come with a little trivet? You can use an ovenproof or steel bowl on the trivet. I have not done it, but have read that you can do this with success. If you try it, I would love to know how it goes. Perhaps next time I whip up some steamed broccoli, I will give it a whirl as well.ReplyCancel

• LisaOctober 10, 2017 - 5:45 pm

I did 2 mins and quick release, and my cauliflower was mush. I’m wondering if the 8qt pot takes longer to come to pressure and release, such that the cauliflower overcooks?ReplyCancel

• JanOctober 11, 2017 - 11:35 am

Hi Lisa, good question. Was the cauliflower frozen or fresh? How much water did you add. You only need 1 cup water. Too much water will take longer to bring up to pressure.I am not familiar with the 8 qt. Instant Pot. From what I have read, it shouldn’t alter the times. Next time I would set it to one minute and make sure don’t have too much water. Sorry I was not of more help. Does anyone else have experience with this happening?ReplyCancel

• LisaOctober 11, 2017 - 12:16 pm

Thanks Jan, it was fresh cauliflower, though a little past its prime, admittedly. I put in a generous cup of water, probably 10-11 ounces. Next time I will try 8 ounces only, and maybe even 0 minutes.

This was the fifth thing I tried in the Instant Pot, and the first fail. I’m glad it was on a $4 cauliflower instead of the $22 rack of baby back ribs! 🙂ReplyCancel

• JanOctober 11, 2017 - 9:27 pm

Keep using your Instant Pot, you will love it. Better luck on the cauliflower next time. You will have to let me know how it goes the second time. 🙂ReplyCancel

• SpencerNovember 12, 2018 - 10:47 am

Had a similar experience last night in my 8 qt Instant Pot where the broccoli came out mushy.

I come a package of Costco’s frozen broccoli using a steaming basket with 1 cup of water on manual for 3 minutes and released immediately. It took about 15 minutes to come to pressure (though I wasn’t really timing that part). It was the mushiest broccoli I’ve ever had, but luckily my 1 year old still liked it fine. 🙂

I’ll try 0 minutes next time, but I’m wondering if the 8 qt really does need some adjustment.ReplyCancel

• JanNovember 12, 2018 - 9:29 pm

Interesting! Yes, I am wondering if the 8 qt does make things a little different. I just steamed broccoli again last night, and as usual set the time for 3 minutes. Quick release and no mush. It was still bright green even. I am wondering if some pots vary a little. Makes me wonder? Thanks for sharing and I hope setting your timer for 0 will help.ReplyCancel

• flax seedNovember 27, 2017 - 11:06 am

First try with my Ultra
    Mixed veggies: broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
    Refrigerator temperature
    Set time to 0, high pressure
    Manual release after 5 minutes of keep warm

Came out way over done, falling apart. Going to try immediate manual release next time.ReplyCancel

• JanNovember 27, 2017 - 7:13 pm

Yes, veggies that are not frozen take a lot less time and you will always want to to a manual quick release.ReplyCancel

• AnneDecember 3, 2017 - 6:17 am

How is steam different from manual low? I did fresh broccoli on manual low for 0 minutes and it is great. I’m freezing it because cheaper than the grocery store frozen bags.ReplyCancel

• JanDecember 4, 2017 - 9:57 am

The “Steam” function heats at full power continuously.

I am finding it IS best to just use “manual” – and set timer to 0.

Someone recommended using less water as well. Instead of 1 cup, take it down to 1/4 cup for 2 to 3 cups broccoli florets. BUT you have to make sure to be there to release the pressure or it will get overdone. I am sure you know that. 🙂ReplyCancel

• CJJanuary 12, 2018 - 3:43 pm

I followed this exactly in my 6qt IP and the broccoli was complete mush – basically the consistency of mashed potatoes. 🙁ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 12, 2018 - 7:56 pm

Were you using frozen or fresh broccoli? How long did you set the time for? Fresh Broccoli you set it on “manual” and time for 0.ReplyCancel

• Shelly YogaJanuary 23, 2018 - 10:54 am

Thanks for recipe Jan. I used the trivet and the steamer basket and placed the stems on top (cut in half lengthwise to be used with liquid in a soup tomorrow).

I used fresh broccoli and brought it to pressure on manual setting with zero minutes and was standing there to turn it off and do a quick release.

Came out PERFECT. Thanks!ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 23, 2018 - 8:35 pm

Great! Thanks for sharing.ReplyCancel

• MelissaFebruary 26, 2018 - 11:28 pm

I didn’t have a steam basket, so I just used the trivet that came with the instant pot. I used fresh broccoli and left them in somewhat larger pieces, then bunched them on top of the trivet so they wouldn’t fall into the water.

I used 2 minutes and it came out perfect to my liking.

Then I used tongs to gently coax them into a large ladle, to remove them from the pot.ReplyCancel

• MelissaFebruary 26, 2018 - 11:33 pm

I should mention that I made about 4 to 5 cups. I used high pressure for 2 minutes and released the pressure immediately. I like broccoli a bit softer, but they weren’t soggy, so it came out great.

If you like it firmer, or if you make less, you should use less time.ReplyCancel

• JanFebruary 27, 2018 - 9:07 pm

Good to know! Thanks for sharing.ReplyCancel

• Joe L.March 13, 2018 - 7:31 am

I have a recipe I love for a vegan ham which requires 1 hour of steaming on the stove. I’d like to try it in my Instant Pot but have no idea what the equivalent steaming time should be. Any suggestions?ReplyCancel

• JanMarch 18, 2018 - 8:39 pm

I have not yet cooked a ham in the Instant Pot so I am not of much help. Sorry.ReplyCancel

• Joe L.March 19, 2018 - 6:14 am

Thanks anyway, Jan. Still looking for a general rule of thumb for converting steaming times from stovetop to IP . I just emailed Instant Pot to see if they can help.ReplyCancel

• Barbara StringerMarch 23, 2019 - 8:21 am

Please us know what you find out. Put it on Facebook.ReplyCancel

• AlyceJuly 14, 2018 - 3:37 pm

How MUCH of the vegetables are you using? 4 oz? 8 oz? 16 oz? 32 oz? 64 oz?

This would make a difference, no?ReplyCancel

• JanJuly 14, 2018 - 8:57 pm

I doesn’t make a difference on the time.ReplyCancel

%d bloggers like this: