Here where I live, we are in the thick of the summer, and it is WARM. I decided I could use another pair of shorts. So instead of going out and buying a new pair, I took a pair of capris that I don’t wear much and cut them off. Hemming pants or shorts is really an easy sewing project. If you know how to sew a straight stitch, you got this!
While I was doing this, I thought I would bring you along for the ride. So here is a quick video tutorial.
1- You Will Need
- If you have a pair of shorts that you like the length of, use them as a length guide.
- Pair of scissors
- Chalk pencil, pen or regular pencil
- Ruler or straight edge
- Seam gauge or measuring tape
- Sewing machine (Can be sewn by hand if you are familiar with the hem stitch)
2- Determine How Long You Want Your Shorts or Pants
- Add 3/4 inch to the finished edge and mark with pencil.
3- Using the pencil and ruler, mark the cutting line.
4- Cut along line
5- Fold cut pant leg over the top of the uncut leg.
- Line up the waistline, crotch seams and inseams.
- Using the already cut leg as a pattern, cut the other pant leg.
6- Folding, pressing and pinning
- Using a straight stitch on the sewing machine, sew along the top edge (about 1/4 inches from the bottom edge)