Instant Pot Greek Yogurt – Straining & Storing Tips

Making Greek yogurt in the Instant Pot has just gotten easier. To get the thickness of Greek yogurt, you need to strain the processed yogurt. In my previous yogurt making tutorial, I showed you how to strain the yogurt using a nut milk bag. It works great and gets good results; however, it can be messy and is challenging to transfer the yogurt into the bag without it getting all over the place. Doing it that way is a two man job.

I have found a way to strain the yogurt without all that mess. Some of you may already be doing it this way, but for those of you, who haven’t tried this, give it a whirl.

If you haven’t yet tried making yogurt and you have an Instant Pot, GET ON IT! If you don’t have an Instant Pot, I highly recommend you get one and start making yogurt. (You will absolutely love making all kinds of things in this wonder machine)

*****By the way, the 7 in One Instant Pot (that is what I have) is on sale right now on Amazon. Best price I have seen $79.95.

Making yogurt can seem very intimidating; however, it seriously is very easy to do. Once you make it and taste how yummy it is, you will never go back to store bought. Homemade yogurt is so much better for you. There are only TWO ingredients, THREE if you choose to add a little vanilla flavoring.

• Milk
  • A little starter yogurt
  • Vanilla (optional)

That’s it!

Here is a little video clip showing the new process of straining using your steam basket and a few coffee filters.

What you will need

Straining yogurt

Set the steam basket inside the bowl strainer and set on top of large bowl. The only reason I am using two strainers, is the bowl strainer is not big enough to hold all the yogurt. If you have a strainer large enough you will NOT have to use the steam basket.

Place four coffee filters inside steam basket, at an angle and overlapping to fully cover the inside of the bowl. If you have a bigger strainer, you may need more filters.

I recommend only making a half batch (1/2 gallon of milk instead of a full gallon), if using a small strainer.

Pour the processed yogurt into the lined strainers and let it sit 1-2 hours. You can leave it on the counter top or place in the refrigerator.

Once the yogurt is at the consistency that you prefer, transfer the yogurt to another bowl. The longer you strain, the thicker it will be. AHHHHH, this is SO much easier than squeezing  the yogurt from the nut milk bag.

Remove the coffee filters and throw them away.

Yogurt can be stored in single serving containers or one large dish with a lid. These are the once I prefer.

Pint jars with a lids work great.

Here are a few other yogurt related posts to check out.

Valentine Yogurt Parfait

Morning Breakfast Muesli

For the full post on HOW TO MAKE YOGURT, go HERE.

Enjoy!

• Mary McKeeNovember 4, 2018 - 3:20 pm

I feel like I am buying greek yogurt all the time! I have had an instant pot for almost 2 years and never even thought of making it myself, but your post makes it sound so easy and doable! I am totally going to try this! Thank you!ReplyCancel

• JanNovember 4, 2018 - 9:00 pm

Great! Let us know how it goes.ReplyCancel

• MaryTMay 12, 2019 - 8:21 am

Don’t be intimidated by this process! It sounds much more complicated than it is. I am sitting here eating fresh strawberries with the best yogurt I have ever eaten in my life – which I made in my Instant Pot mini yesterday for the first time using these instructions. I cooked it for 10 hours, let it cool and then drained it overnight in my fridge. It is mild and very firm. I don’t have a strainer, but I lined a colander with 4 flattened coffee filters, then covered the filters with two layers of cheese cloth. The cheese cloth allowed me to move the final product easily out of the colander and into a bowl. Better than any commercial yogurt I have ever tried (and I’ve tried a lot!). This may have been simple “beginner’s luck” but I am going to do this again soon. Like tomorrow.ReplyCancel

• JanMay 12, 2019 - 10:11 am

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.ReplyCancel

• TinaJune 2, 2019 - 8:44 pm

Have you ever used the really large coffee filters? I know they exist because I’ve done art projects with my kids with them, making hats.ReplyCancel

• JanJune 2, 2019 - 9:26 pm

Yes, they work the best. You don’t have to use as many!ReplyCancel

• TamiAugust 13, 2019 - 7:49 am

I’ve made Greek yogurt for years and plan on switching over to my new mealthy pot. I tired quickly of trying to find an easy mess free way to strain my yogurt and found it with an Euro Cuisine yogurt strainer (24.95) on amazon. They do make a strainless one now and some of the negative reviews talk about the mesh ripping but I’ve used mine for years, make a gal of yogurt twice a month and have never had any issues. I’m careful to use a silicon spatula when putting it from strainer to jars but by no means baby it. So easy, mess free, all contained and I can easily do it all by myself-need I say more!?😂
    Now I’m excited about the process being even easier with my pressure pot!ReplyCancel

• EmmaDecember 28, 2019 - 4:14 am

What do you do with the liquid that gets strained off? I believe that has some goodness in it like protein, correct me if I’m wrong.ReplyCancel

• JanDecember 28, 2019 - 12:32 pm

YOU CAN SAVE THE WHEY AND USE IT IN SMOOTHIES, SALAD DRESSINGS, ETC FOR ADDED PROBIOTIC NUTRITION.ReplyCancel

• SherrylMarch 27, 2020 - 2:08 pm

I have a nuwave instant pot no yougurt button how would I use your recipeReplyCancel

%d bloggers like this: