diy – Mitered Corners Baby Blanket

mitered corner baby blanket youmakeitsimple.com
Are you looking for an easy to make baby gift? This diy mitered corners baby blanket is a fun sewing project that only takes a little over 30 minutes to whip up. The contrasting binding and the crisp mitered corners really add charm to this cozy flannel receiving blanket.

Don’t let the mitered corners intimidate you. This baby blanket really is a snap to sew up. I love mixing and matching different flannel colors and prints. Once you sew one up, you will want to make more.

If you are a visual learner and would enjoy a video tutorial, I have filmed the process and offer it for FREE on my youtube station.

To make a 34” square blanket you will need:

1- Prepare Fabric

• The question I always come to when making up a baby blanket is: Do I pre-wash the fabric or not? Here is a good article that states the pros and cons of pre-washing fabric. What do you do? If I am making it for a gift, I usually don’t pre-wash. It just looks like it has been used when it has been pre-washed. It doesn’t have that crispness and sharp color. However, you take a risk of the two fabrics not shrinking equally and causing the blanket to distort a little after washing. There usually isn’t a problem with good quality flannels, but I have had it happen.
  • Remove the selvage edge of your fabric pieces. (Finished edge, that sometimes has print on it)
  • Mark the selvage edges with a safety pin.

2- Cutting Out

• Decide which fabric you want to be the back and border piece. Cut it to be 40″ square.
  • Cut the front piece to be 30″ square.

cutting out

3- Align and Pin

• Fold the ends of each side together and mark center point with a pin.center point
  • Locate the selvage edges on both pieces. (the side with the safety pin)
  • Place selvage edges Right Sides Together (RST)
  • Line up center points and pin together. (ya, ya I know you are thinking…How is this going to come together?) Trust me, it will.

rst

• Make sure that the excess fabric has the same measurement on each side.

pinning

3- Create Stop Points

• Take the top piece and measure 1/4 inch from each edge at the corners and mark with a pencil or pin. Do this for all four corners of the front piece.

• Using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, sew from stop point to stop point. Do not sew past that point. It is real important to sew right up to this point but not any further.
  • Do the same thing on the other side, directly across. (remember that there is going to be excess fabric) Line up center points.
  • Pin in place and sew from stop point to stop point.

seam line

4- Sewing Seams

• Flip the blanket and align the remaining edges together, matching center points. Yep, the corners will seem weird at this point, no worries.
  • Leave a space about 6 inches open on one of the side seams. (This is where you will turn the blanket inside out)
  • This is what the corners will look like at this point.

5- Miter Corners

• Holding the corner, fold the blanket so the two seam edges meet.

• Mark a 90° angle from the FABRIC FOLD to the stop point. You can use a simple piece of paper to get the right angle. Just make sure the bottom of the paper edge is along the folded edge, not the seam edge.
  • Mark a line with a pencil.
  • The photo below is the WRONG way to mark the corners. The right angle needs to be lined up with the fabric fold.

• Sew along the pencil line, back stitching at the beginning and end of seams.

• Trim seam allowance to 1/4 inch.

trim seam

• Repeat these steps for all four corners.

Press and Turn

• Lay the blanket out flat with the small piece on top. (notice that the back panel folds over the front) Isn’t this the coolest thing ever!
  • Before you turn the blanket inside out, press the seams toward the outside.press
  • Turn the blanket inside out through the gap you left in the seam.
  • Poke the corners out using a point turner or pen with a lid on.

Finishing

finishing

• Lay the baby blanket flat so the border is equal width on all sides.
  • Press in place, making sure the seam allowance is folded toward to blanket edge.
  • Pin around the blanket especially where you left the hole.
  • Top stitch around the blanket close to the seam edge. top stitch

You can use all kinds of different decorative stitches if you want to dress it up a little.

blankie

top stitching

img_0550

This baby blanket makes wonderful baby shower gifts. Throw in a upcycled jingle ball and you have a baby gift that is easily handmade and from the heart.

069

Have fun sewing!

jan3

• TeresaMarch 1, 2019 - 11:14 am

To make a lovey size blanket what measurements do you recommend doing?ReplyCancel

• JanMarch 1, 2019 - 7:08 pm

For a 12 x 12 inch lovey blanket, cut one piece of flannel 19″ x 19″ and the other piece 14″ x 14″. This will give you a 1 inch border instead of a 2 inch border.
      Would love to see it if you sew one up.ReplyCancel

• GloriaApril 4, 2019 - 11:42 am

Do you happen to have a video for this project?
    This blanket is so cute, I would like to make one for my niece.ReplyCancel

• JanApril 5, 2019 - 10:55 am

Hi Gloria,
      No, I am sorry I don’t yet have a video tutorial for the blanket. Great idea though. Perhaps sometime in the near future I can do that.
      In the mean time, don’t let that stop you from making a blanket. If you have questions or concerns while sewing it up, feel free to send me a note and I’ll walk you through it.
      fibersandtwigs@gmail.com
      Enjoy your day,
      janReplyCancel

• ConstanzaMay 29, 2019 - 3:40 pm

Hi, loved your tutorial!!!! Do you think I can use this same technique on a rectangular blanket?? Thanks 🙂ReplyCancel

• JanMay 30, 2019 - 8:18 pm

Yes you can. So whatever your rectangle measures, just make the second rectangle 10″ bigger.
      Say it measures 46 x 60 the other piece would measure 56 x 70. And then proceed with the instructions, but keep it the same proportion. I hope that makes sense?
      Let me know how it goes.ReplyCancel

• CarolSeptember 8, 2019 - 7:02 pm

Your directions on making the mitered corners is excellent. I’ve watched several videos from different folks and they never explain this part well enough for beginners. Needless to say, my first attempt several months ago was a bust because I didn’t think it over before trying to blow one of these out in 20 minutes!! I also like that your default is for a 36” square pattern…

ThanksReplyCancel

• JanSeptember 8, 2019 - 7:22 pm

Thank you!! So glad it worked for you! They are fun to make aren’t they!ReplyCancel

• JanSeptember 8, 2019 - 7:27 pm

Carol, I am working on a mini course where I will be teaching a bunch of projects for babies. If that is something you may be interested in, you can subscribe to my email list through this link and you will be notified when it is ready to roll.
      Here is the link.

Enjoy the upcoming week,
      janReplyCancel

• PatJanuary 22, 2020 - 9:38 pm

Best tutorial ever…your blanket is perfect & so were the directions. Thank youReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 23, 2020 - 4:58 pm

Hey Thanks Pat, glad you liked it! 🙂ReplyCancel

• Rita SimsJanuary 25, 2020 - 7:31 am

Great tutorial ! The up close photos of the right and wrong way to mark the mitered corners was perfect. Thanks again .ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 25, 2020 - 11:15 am

Thanks Rita!ReplyCancel

• Marijane CallJanuary 26, 2020 - 9:57 am

Wonderful tutorial. I have watched other tutorials on this self binding blanket. I have sewn corners wrong. Your video was very carefully done. Thank you for sharing your talent.ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 26, 2020 - 8:06 pm

Thanks so much Marijane! So glad it was helpful.ReplyCancel

• Marta DelgadoJanuary 29, 2020 - 12:20 pm

Hi Jan. Thanks soooo much for the wonderful tutorial!!!! It was so detailed and the directions will be very easy to follow. I hope my blanket turns out as cute as yours. I’m looking forward to making one for my grandson.ReplyCancel

• JanJanuary 29, 2020 - 7:03 pm

Hey thanks Marta for your kind words. I’m sure your blanket is going to turn out wonderful. 🙂ReplyCancel

• mariaApril 14, 2020 - 12:47 pm

Hello,

My name is maria and I would love to make this blanket for my grandbaby but I’m so lost. Can you help meReplyCancel

• TammyJune 15, 2020 - 3:38 pm

I always preshrink my fabric since a fabric store clerk told me fabric is fumigated to prevent bugs at the factory! Also – pre-washing and drying makes the flannel much softer and fluffier.

Thanks for the pattern!ReplyCancel

• JanJune 16, 2020 - 10:07 am

Thanks for the tip!ReplyCancel

• RebeccaJuly 15, 2020 - 2:08 pm

Uhhh….why did mine. It turn out? 😭 Followed all the directions. It doesn’t lay flat. So sad to have wasted expensive material on this.ReplyCancel

• JanJuly 16, 2020 - 10:41 am

Hi Rebecca,
      I am so sorry this didn’t’ turn out for you. If you want, you can email me at fibersandtwigs@gmail.com. Send me a photo and perhaps I can help you salvage the fabric. I’m sure we can do something to fix it. I will keep an eye out for your response if you want some help with this.ReplyCancel

• JoanAugust 27, 2020 - 2:08 pm

Is it a good idea to tack the two layers together in the middle to keep them from shifting? Thank you.ReplyCancel

• JanAugust 28, 2020 - 5:35 pm

Hi Joan,
      Some like to tack the two layers together and some don’t. It’s your preference. I find with small of a blanket it’s not an issue with shifting. It can depend on the fabric as well. If you do tack it down, you can either stitch an x pattern from corner to corner or a plus design sewing a horizontal line and a perpendicular line.ReplyCancel

• JoSeptember 1, 2020 - 5:36 pm

I like to pre-wash mine before gifting (before making, too). My sets have been going to already here newborns so, I figure new mom doesn’t need one more load of laundry to do – I make two blankets & several matching burp cloths. I include a note informing that they are clean & washed in a way that is newborn safe- ready to be used. ReplyCancel

%d bloggers like this: