This is a family favorite Spanish rice recipe that I have tweaked so you can make it up quick and easy using the Instant Pot. It is a simple, basic, down to earth recipe that you can whip up and enjoy with so many things. We like it with tacos, enchiladas, and alongside a scoop of creamy refried beans. By the way, the refried bean Instant pot recipe is coming up soon, so stay tuned.
Why use the Instant Pot? Because it only takes 18 – 25 minutes to make. (That includes prep and everything with no babysitting). You gotta love this gadget! I am constantly amazed at what you can do with it. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, I will include the stove top instructions. However, I hope you will strongly consider investing in one. You won’t be disappointed.
- 2 cup rice
- 1 cup tomato sauce (one 8 oz. can)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 Tablespoon avocado oil, or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- Press the “saute” button on the Instant Pot
- Place the oil and rice in the pot and saute until it starts to turn a golden brown. Stir frequently so you don’t burn it. (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add other ingredients and give it a little stir
- Place the lid on the Pot and secure in place.
- Flip the pressure valve into the “sealing” position
- Press the “manual” button and set time for 8 minutes.
- When the beeper goes off, let it “natural release” for 5 minutes.
- At this point, release any remaining pressure by flipping the pressure valve.
- Once the steam is released, remove lid and fluff the rice with a big fork.
Spanish Rice Stove Top Instructions
Use the same ingredients as above, however you will need to INCREASE BROTH/WATER TO 4 CUPS!
- In a saucepan, brown the rice lightly in the oil.
- Add other ingredients.
- Bring to boil and turn down to simmer
- Place lid on and cook until done (about 20 -25 minutes).
Serve with your favorite Mexican dish.
*You can PRINT – EMAIL – or TEXT the recipe HERE