Shredded chicken is one of my “go tos’ when it comes to fixing dinner. You can use it in so many recipes. I found a way to make up a batch of yummy, savory shredded chicken in a SNAP using the INSTANT POT. I get so excited about this little gadget, (I use it everyday), that I have to share with you all these fun ways to use it.
This method of cooking chicken breast has won me over. It always comes out moist, tender and so flavorful. It is so easy and quick to make, that I occasionally make up a batch for lunch. I steam some veggies to go with it and I am good to go. Just as quick as getting in the car and driving to a fast food joint, and MUCH healthier.
- 4 lbs chicken breasts or 18 chicken tenders (approximately 6 breasts)
- 1/2 c water or chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Press the “poultry” button then using the plus symbol add 5 minutes for a total of 20 minutes. If you are using frozen meat, add another 5 minutes for tenders and 10 minutes for breasts.
- Once the pressure cooking time has finished, carefully turn the valve from “sealing” to “venting” to quick pressure release. (This will allow the steam to escape and you’ll be able to open the lid sooner than waiting for natural release).
- Place the chicken onto a plate or cutting board and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Use two forks to shred.
- Store the chicken in an air-tight container with some of the liquid to help keep the meat moist.
This shredded chicken is so good, that you can just eat it plain, or use it in one of your favorite recipes. Here are some of my favorite ways to shredded chicken.
- Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Rolls
- Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich
- Chicken Tacos
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Pot Pie
What I love about the Instant Pot vs. a regular pressure cooker is that I can just program it for what I need it to do, and walk away. I don’t have to stick around in the kitchen waiting for it to get up to pressure. Oh, I am learning how to do so much with this thing. Last week I made homemade vanilla yogurt. It was so delicious! It was the best yogurt I have ever had. I will post about that the next time I make some.