This berry breakfast smoothie is one of my favorite go to breakfasts. I like it because it is quick, taste yummy, is very nutritious and most importantly, it sustains me until lunchtime. Now that is amazing considering I am ready for second breakfast by 10:30 or so. I am one who does not do well with the standard bowl of cereal or or other breakfast entrees. If I eat pancakes or french toast for breakfast, my body responds like I had just eaten a serving of cake and ice cream. I need something with protein. For some reason this little gem of a smoothie works for me, and perhaps it will be good for you too.
Would you like to know why this smoothie is so healthy?
It is jam packed with goodness.
- Berries are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, plus they’re rich in antioxidants that can protect your cells from free-radical damage.
- Hemp seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids which are essential fats that help reduce inflammation, which may reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Coconut oil has a unique combination of fatty acids that have a profound positive effect on health. This includes fat loss, better brain function and various other amazing benefits.
- Almond butter is high in protein, fiber, and monounsaturated fats.
- Chia seeds are a rich source of nutrients and antioxidants.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen berry mix (raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
*optional items you can add
Put the liquid in the blender first, then add the rest of the items. Blend at high speed until smooth.
This usually makes enough for two. If no one else is around to share, I put some in a mason jar and place a lid on it or cover with plastic wrap for later. It will even keep until the next morning. My husband loves it when I have an extra one in the fridge for him.
*By the way, I love these plastic lids that fit on mason jars. I have the regular and wide mouth lids. As you can tell, I put everything in mason jars. We even use jars as drinking glasses in our home. Nothing fancy here.
Give this yummy berry smoothie a whirl!
WARNING! Keep a napkin handy, no matter how careful you are this smoothie somehow ends up on your nose and around your mouth. You don’t even know it’s there. We have to check each other or look in the mirror before going out, sure enough there will be a little dab of purple goodness on my nose or lips.